Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Up too late again. . .

I have gotten into a very bad habit of staying up late to get stuff done.  It is now 2 a.m. and I'm still up.  I hope to get on a better sleep schedule when we go to Alabama next week.  Yep, only one more week and the kids and I are flying to Alabama for 9 weeks, then April 17 off to Germany!  These past four weeks have felt like years at times, and only a few days at others.  I have a new found respect for being a single mom!  I've only been on my own for a few weeks and have really missed how much Dan helps out.  I've had great help though, my parents, Dan's dad and stepmom, Ben, Becky, Mauri & Nathan, Grandparents and extended family, and so many friends have all been great!  I couldn't have survived this past month without them!  THANK YOU!!!  This has been a hard time for all of us.  We have felt very blessed though by everyone's love and support, all of the phone calls checking up on us, helping me move stuff, put stuff together, or just feeding us.  It has been great!  THANK YOU!!!  We love you all so much!
Josh has had a hard time adjusting to Dad being gone.  Consequently, he has become my little shadow.  He follows me around the house, wants me to do everything for him, from spoon-feeding him food to dressing him (something that he has been quite proficient at for months).  He has refused to go to preschool and his new primary sunbeam class at church.  I try to encourage him to do everything that I know he can do on his own, but I haven't forced him to go to preschool or primary. . . yet.  I think it will be easier when we are in Alabama and Dan and I can tag-team at church.  I have to say that the past few weeks in church have not been the most productive or inspiring, simply because neither of my kids have had the patience for church lately.  Maggie is at the stage of wanting to be running everywhere always, and lets you know she is not happy if you pick her up and keep her contained to one area.  Josh hasn't wanted to go to primary so he has stayed with me through all of my classes, which he commented to Dan "You have to be really quiet, they don't sing songs or play games, and its takes a long, long time."   LOL!  Ah the honest evaluation of a 3 yr. old!  I must say that I am anxious for Maggie to go to nursery, only four more months!  Although it does take a lot of energy goinig, and staying in church I know that going has really helped the past month.  I always feel a rejuvenation of spirit and happier after church and partaking of the sacrament.  I feel such a sense of peace that no matter where we are in the world, Provo, Phoenix, Ramstein, or Timbuktu, there is always the church, there is always the gospel. 
Speaking of the gospel Dan has had some amazing missionary experiences already at Alabama.  He was able to share a Book of Mormon and take a friend to church with him.  I know that many of you have questioned why we chose this course of events for our lives, going into the Air Force, and for me it feels like a chance to serve a mission.  I got married when I was 20, which I am so glad about, and so did not serve a full-time mission.  I really feel like this is my chance to be a missionary, I just get to take my family!  I am really excited about the next four years, anxious and a little overwhelmed too!  It is going to be quite the adventure!

4 comments:

Jamie Zvirzdin said...

Holly, you are great. Although I was never in Europe with kids, I had a great time there and I loved the people. You do get to share your testimony more often, and you also get to see that people everywhere are fundamentally GOOD. Boy, I loved that. Good luck and enjoy the ride!

The Pullins said...

You are an amazing woman and have an amazing family. You are going to do great things in Germany! I'm so excited for you all. How awesome is it for the kids!? Josh could come back speaking German!! You will have so much fun and have that much more to offer when you come back to the states! Love ya!

bjahlstrom said...

Holly, I am really pleased that your family gets to have this experience. I can only predict good things for you. You are a strong woman!

Amy said...

Thanks for the update. I love Josh and his comments! I think it is a great idea to view this as a mission. What a neat opportunity!