As many of you know (and for those who don't, now you do), my mom has been battling breast cancer for the past couple of years. During this time I have tried to learn more about what breast cancer is and how it is treated. Unfortunately, there is still a lot that science has yet to discover about this terrible disease.
Breast cancer has the potential to affect all of us in one way or another. Each year over 200,000 women in the United States learn that they have breast cancer. Approximately 1 in 8 women will develop some form of invasive breast cancer at some point in their lives. While early detection and treatment have significantly increased the number of breast cancer survivors, this horrible disease still claims the lives of over 40,000 women a year in the U.S. alone.
Breast cancer develops in stages: stage 0 through stage 4. My mom's breast cancer is currently at "Stage 4." That means that the cancer has spread from her breast to her bones and to other organs in her body, specifically to her liver, lungs, neck, spine, and hip. While there is still hope that my mom will be able to find the right type of chemotherapy to hold the cancer at bay for a while, there is still no cure for breast cancer that has reached this stage.
It is the hardest thing in the world knowing that there is nothing I can do to immediately help my mom. I have gone through the full range of emotions and, to be honest, it has been a rough ride. While I work to come to grips with the reality that there isn't much I can do individually, I find great comfort supporting those who are working to find a cure. Hopefully they can find something to help my mom but, if not, I can only pray that someday doctors will be able to come up with something to help someone else's mom, wife, sister, or friend.
This week, my mom and my sisters are participating in the Susan G. Komen for the Cure Breast Cancer 3 Day walk. Their goal, among the three of them, is to raise $6,600 to help find a cure for breast cancer. As of this minute, they have been able to collect $4,847. They are only $1,753 short. The walk begins this Friday and I want to do my part to help them raise their goal to helping find a cure for breast cancer.
I am asking all of you to please help me help them help everyone. I understand the economy is tough right now and for many of us money is a little tight. However, think of this as an investment. You may not see immediate returns, but the day they find a cure for breast cancer, we will all be able to reap the benefits by knowing that those we love will no longer have to suffer from this terrible disease. Will you all please join me in this important cause? Your donation does not have to be large in number to be significant in purpose. Every penny you provide brings people like my mom one step closer to winning their own personal battle against breast cancer. It is my hope that everyone reading this today will chose to donate at least $5. If you feel you can donate more, that would be wonderful, but every bit helps. Thank you so much for your help. Thank you on behalf of myself, my family, my mom, and all those who suffer directly or indirectly from breast cancer.
Click here to help fight against breast cancer!
Then click on either my mom (Darla) or my sisters' (Mauri and Jenna) name and follow the instructions to donate. Thanks again!

2 comments:
Thanks for posting this. We'll donate what we can. I also want to post the link to your Mom's team on my blog too.
I hope they can make their goal and most of all find some successful treatments!
I love my Danielson!
Post a Comment